Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hey everyone-

I've been in CA since 2/17 and have been having so much fun that my postings have fallen by the wayside - oops!  I've been staying with my good friend Sandy Dixon in San Mateo and riding my rental bike all over the western sideof San Francisco Bay where I have to keep stopping to get off and do some bird watching.  The shore birds are prolific and varied and the bike trail that I've been riding has bird identification kiosks for those of us unfamiliar with these western varieties.  Also encountered some very fat cats along the trail and then ran into their volunteer feeders the following day.  It turns out that about 6 years ago there were @ 350 feral cats living among the rocky shoreline in San Mateo county on the Bay, threatening the native bird population.  The local Audubon Society and a spontaneously formed group of cat lovers got together to capture, neuter then release the cats back to their bayside abodes and then to feed them daily so as to keep the from being tempted by the birds.   They have gotten the cat population down to 80 and believe me, these cats look pretty content.  I'll try to post a couple of  Bay Cat pics.  More soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment