Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March, 29, 2009  Somewhere outside of Del Rio, TX

It's really 4/31, but we haven't had internet service for a few days, and today we don't have cell phone service.  Not to worry about us forgetting any of the details of the day however, as our ride from Sanderson to Del Rio was a kind of perfect storm of really nasty riding conditions, turning it into an infamous ride.  We had long mileage (111), a hilly terrain, very monotonous scenery in my book, really bumpy chip seal road surface and the real killer, a horrific head wind that didn't let up for the entire day.  Our group has pilots and sailors and the general agreement is that the wind was coming at us at 25 mph, gusting to 30.  It took me 7 hours to go 60 miles when I gleefully joined my buddies in the van for the rest of the way in.  We are all feeling like we are still recovering to some degree, 2 days later.  The most difficult part of it for me was the unrelenting sound of the wind, which I've never expereinced.  Guess I wouldn't have made a very good prairie pioneer woman....Below is the only picture I took that day.

1 comment: