Monday, July 18, 2011

We climbed out of McGregor ( home, I might add, of the Ringling brothers) the next day in very hot and humid weather. The climbs were especially tough as my front derailure is not working and I am having to stop and manually shift into my smallest chain ring before each climb - really puts a crimp in the momentum, so important for the beginning of a good climb. (My bike is in the shop for the third time this trip as we speak....update to follow). We slunk into Dyersville, disgustingly sweaty and grimy, me covered with grease due to the above gear changing issue, but in time to see the National Farm Toy museum. Who would have thought that collecting farm toys is a huge hobby thing, and that apparently supports an industry of such? Jan Bee, who grew up on a farm in Idaho, shepherded us around and explained how combines and bailers worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment