Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hello from Minnesota where is REALLY HOT! What did I expect when I signed up for a bike trip across the midwest in July and August you ask? Not having ever been to the mid-West before, I suppose I thought this type of heat was reserved for Iowa, or possibly Indiana. But thus far at least, this is proving to be the hottest and most shade deprived riding that I have done in awhile, possibly ever! As many of you know, I am not a fan of the hot stuff, and neither is my body, which has been rebelling, acclimating, adjusting to it's non-Vermont set point with difficulty. Am also suffering the ill effects of a hiking mishap a week prior to the tour when I slipped on a wet rock and landed flat on my coccyx - very bad timing. The combo of the slow healing process and the hot climes have made for a rough start for me. After lots of consults from many in the know folks, a bike adjustment by our guide Carol, and hopefully some Lidoderm patches when we pass a pharmacy tomorrow, I'm optimistic that things will improve. We all agreed that I should take a day off today and I'll do a 50 miler tomorrow (instead of 106), the better to 'rest' my arse, and the heat exhaustion stuff will hopefully improve with time. Needless to say, it's been a frustrating start, but as my friend Susan from Santa Cruz reminded me, there is some sort of a weird lesson for me here.

So, I had a relaxing ride from Little Falls, MN this morning in the WomanTours van with our guides, Michelle and Carol, who each rode for part of the trip. We crossed back over the Mississippi, meandered past the Charles Lindbergh State Park which was closed due to the shut down of state offices in Minnesota, though his childhood home is right along the road, easy to spot. The rest of the day was pretty much what we've been seeing for the last few days - rolling hills, wetlands full of standing water, lots and lots of farm and all of this on a perfect grid. The tour has been a birdwatching boon however thus far, with a siting today of 2 mature bald eagles and yesterday's BIG, new to the lifelist thrill, a Sandhill Crane!! Am hearing so many birdsongs, and thanks to Es, my mother who taught me lots of birdsongs, I have a pretty good idea of what's around even though I can't see them.

The hotel we're at has a touchy internet connection, so I can't add photos today, but will do them when I can get a good connection. Until then, all is well, I love the group and will get by this small bump in the physical road very soon. Tah Tah for now,

Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment