Saturday, April 18, 2009

And we are in Mississippi, ever so briefly.  We spent our first night here yesterday in Wiggins and are now in Pascagoula until tomorrow morning when we leave for Alabama.  My first day in this very green yet flat state started out to be the horrible no good day, what with forgetting to re-set my odometer which led to a wrong turn or two and being just slightly lost, with I might add, storm clouds looming and lots of loose, barking dogs on our new errant route.  Just when we had righted ourselves and were back on course, I had a flat.  While changing it, the last person in our group passed us so we were then LAST.....I'm trying to get over it about being last but I guess I still have some work to do.  Oddly, my father was frequently at the tail end of the cyclists, happy to ride with anyone no matter what their pace.  At any rate, an attitude adjustment was in order and we pulled it off!!  For the first time in the trip, we had 2 riding options, the longer route having some dogs with nasty reps reputed to inhabit it and the shorter one boasting heavy truck traffic and no shoulder.  This was really a dilemma, but we chose the dog route and nary a canine did anything other than look cute, so we were able to maintain our new positive attitudes.  We passed lots of huge old clear cut areas - we are indeed in logging country.  Also, it never rained!!  Being here now is the only way to approach a bike ride.  We're seeing lots of muddy rivers with cypress trees and Spanish moss, very mysterious looking.  Here's a pic....

No comments:

Post a Comment