Tuesday, May 5, 2009

By far the highlight of the trip was awaiting me as after a 76 mile ride into Palatka, FL., my cousin Barb jumped out from behind a sign sporting a headband  with a Bee on top to surprise me, which she did!!!  Her friend Cindy, whom I had known since junior high school, was there too - I was bolled over to say the least.  I had failed to notice the 'Bee' posters that were on the bridge that I had just rode over and displayed all around the Best Western Courtyard.  Some history here... when I was in 4th grade, Barb founded the Busy Bee Mail Club in an effort to better cousin communications.  She and I were the only members until our spouses were admitted by marriage, then David and Eliza as birthrights (what lucky kids!!!)  Membership is granted only if you take a club name from any of the Winnie the Pooh characters.  Barb, President for life is of course Pooh, I am Kanga, though rumor has it that originally I was Piglet......Anyway, over the years, the club has played prominently in all family gatherings, with Pooh at the helm with elaborate decorations, bee oriented activities, food, etc.  She has even worn a full bee costume, which she was unable to borrow for this occasion.  It was so wonderful to have she and Cindy ( who has been hearing of the club all these years) there.  Also, one of our riders is named Bee, and she knew of the club on day one of the ride.  As of this writing, she is awaiting a presidential decision regarding the first non-Kehew family admission to the Club.....more as this develops.  Note the bee windsock prominently displayed on the hotel sign.  Pooh does not miss a trick!  

No comments:

Post a Comment